Thursday, July 3, 2008

Not Just Art, but I'm also a Music Girl. Who Would've Thought?


I miss musical theatre.
I miss singing with others and feeling music surrounding me.
I miss being engulfed in harmony.

I love art, but I didn't realize how little time I would have for all of my other passions. I am determined to join a church choir, at LEAST.

Funny thing is, I didn't even realize at the time that I was throwing myself into art wholeheartedly. I didn't realize I would be giving away a huge huge part of me. I knew nothing about art at the beginning, other than I had a natural knack for it. I'd never even had an art class. I look back and realize that my whole high school career is just a fond memory. And that makes me happy and sad at the same time. Kind of hard to explain. A lot of what I learned then is used every day now. I never get stage fright. I love public speaking - it doesn't bother me at all. Tonight I found all of my Godspell pictures from my first production, all of my music books, and an old CD of "Baby", which has the spunkiest music (download "Two People in Love" for something that will make you smile - see below for the lyrics).

I love being on stage. It feels like home. Goodness, I miss it so badly sometimes.

Funnier thing is, unless you knew me back then, you probably would have no idea. You probably have never heard me sing. Sad in a way. I studied music with my voice teacher for 4 years; opera, contemporary, broadway, everything really. I sung in downtown Baltimore in an opera festival. I was in over 7 musicals, sung in concert choir for 3 years, lead worship band for 3 as well.

Where did this part of me go?

I will change this. I want that half of me back.

Music moves me, and I want to be able to move others with my music again.
--
I'm having a vision
I suddenly see it:
The magnitude of two people in love!
How could I have missed it?
It had to have been there...
But I needed you to show me.
We have so much power that's locked inside us
Every time I touch you, it flows!
The energy of,
Capacity of,
The infinite sweep of two people,
Two people in love!

2 comments:

  1. oh my! oh my! erin you have no idea--everytime i read more of you or have a conversation with you the more I realize how much we share and feel the same! this post about music and your history and "love affair" so to speak with it- is exactly like it was for me and college has been so tough for me leaving that part out, sacrificing to be without it for other things i though at the time were more worthy and useful and ya know would help my "future career" blah blah...two words: Choir partners?? Let's go church/choir shopping when we live together soon--honestly it is so refreshing have a person close to me (not from high shool where i sang or my sister who is across teh country sadly) to relate so much to this passionate love and need for music. awwww thank you so much again for your post! i cannot wait erin, that coffee house audition was just the beginning:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You betcha ;) That sounds like a fantastic idea! I am so glad we are so alike - it's always fun to have someone who shares your passions, etc :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...