Friday, February 18, 2011

FRIDAY FEATURE

This Friday I have the honour of introducing Krista Dunaway, an illustrator and fellow Florence+TheMachine lover whose strengths are gorgeously smooth skintones and beautiful aesthetics.

 "Rabbit Heart" by Krista Dunaway

Here's our Q & A ~

Q. Tell me about yourself. What's your background in art?
A. I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. I mainly drew horses and oddly shaped heads that looked almost like potatoes. I've always been interested in art and took 2 art classes in middle school. In 2008-09, my senior year in high school, I decided that art was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and took an ap art course which proved to me how hard the field can be. I started painting digitally around that time also and love the medium. I consider myself self-taught in the digital media aside from reading tutorials here and there.

Q. What are your inspirations? Favourite artists? 
A. My main inspiration is music. Especially anything by Florence + The Machine, Muse, or Coldplay. My favorite artist is Alphonse Mucha, while I extremely look up to and admire Jason Chan, Charlie Bowater, Jace Wallace, Marta Dahlig, Lois Van Baarle, and Bao Pham.

 Poster, 1896, Alphonse Mucha - via google images

Q. What's your favourite thing to paint/illustrate? Least favourite?
A. I love painting females. It's definitely something I need to do less of, but it's in my comfort zone. My least favorite thing to paint at the moment is environments and males.

Q. Your work is so detailed and polished - about how much time do you typically spend on an illustration?
A. I spend quite a bit of time on my work. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to art. I can spend anywhere between 20-60 hours on a painting.

 Contest Piece by Krista Dunaway


Q. What is your intention for communication with your viewers? Why do you make art?
A. I make art because I enjoy it and it's very relaxing and therapeutic for me. I hope that by making art someone out there will enjoy looking at it as much as I enjoyed creating it.

Q. What are your long-term goals for your work? Any special secret plans you can share with me?
A. There are so many goals that I'd like to reach! My main goal would be to improve and become a professional in the field. I will definitely keep working on improving and drawing from life as much as possible!

A big thank you to Krista for answering all my curious questions and sharing some of her work!
 
Be sure to check out Krista around the web! Deviantart // Tumblr

2 comments:

  1. Great feature! i actually ran into her work earlier this week in one of the groups I watch on deviantART! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've talked with Krista for sometime now. She is not only a great mentor but she is an amazing person! I've been a fan of her work for a while now but I found her through a different website. However she did change from kristadunaway to kwidda on deviantart.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...