Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Boutique - Time :) Now my jewelry is in a lovely boutique!

So yesterday I had my first meeting with a boutique here in MD,
{ Shamelessly Simple }
The night before, I had organized all of my rings and necklaces into their containers, printed up my inventory sheet, and packed my business cards. After living in LA for a year and working for two designers, it felt natural making my list and packing it up. I went with my bosses to countless boutiques in Los Angeles, so I was excited that I had a little experience under my belt - I am so thankful for it!

The morning-of, I loaded everything into my car and set off to meet up with the store's owner and buyer. Once I stepped inside, I fell in love. This was just my kind of place! Lots of home decor and boutique-y gifts filled colourful tables, and the walls were bright aqua! I was greeted by the owner quickly, and she was really nice. After unloading all of my pieces onto her counter, I began to talk about my inspirations and ideas behind them. I have been doing a lot of market research for the trends surrounding this Fall/Winter 2010 and watching a lot of runway previews, so talking about my colour choices and style came easily.

(I've learned that that's the best thing to do when you're meeting a buyer - be knowledgeable and enthusiastic about your pieces and the story behind them - it will come across!)

Of course, I gave a lot of the technical information behind them too (like what sort of materials were used, how to care for them, etc). We talked for a little while, and I just loved that she was on track with my pieces, specifically the colours. In Baltimore, we are all about the Ravens (sorry non-Bmore-readers!), so it seemed that one of her main focuses for the store was purple/Ravens items. My purple and violet pieces were a great fit! We talked a little about packaging (which I agreed to provide - if you're speaking with a buyer, it is always good to ask if they'd like to provide the packaging, or to be prepared to offer it), and display in-store. I will be going back on Friday to drop off a few pieces she requested and to take some photos of the boutique and of my pieces on display.













All in all, she selected quite a few pieces from me for consignment (which is why my { Etsy } dropped a bunch of items!). I am hoping they do extremely well so that we can continue to build our business relationship by increasing inventory (perhaps for the holidays)! She was so generous and helpful - she even offered to put up a special sign for me above my work that instructed buyers on how to contact me for custom orders :) It was so nice of her! I am also being included in her newsletter for new arrivals!

I left the adorable store with the happiest heart, only to come home to the lovely surprise that I had broken over 900 watchers on my { deviantart } ! What a marvelous day! :)

* If you're looking for a unique gift for a loved one or friend, or just want something cool to spruce up your home, check out Shamelessly Simple Boutique on 10712 York Road, Cockeysville, MD 21030!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome Erin.

    It makes my heart glad that you're being able to do something that you are obviously excited about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad! Thanks so much!!! :) Good to hear from you! How is everything?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...