Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Some Thoughts on Purpose & Creativity

As a freelance illustrator, I am always looking for sources of inspiration and motivation. For me, creating art goes far beyond the desire for a paycheck; rather, it instills a sense of purpose for me, and a reason to get up in the morning. After starting to pursue art as my career, I vowed to myself never to work another job that was considered "the daily grind". I no longer believe that we are supposed to work at something that doesn't fulfill us for decades, where the only change from day to day is what we pack in our lunchbox.

So I was absolutely thrilled as I tuned in to Marie Forleo's weekly video, where she interviews the author of The Charge, Brendon Buchard. Because I rarely post things like this, I want you to trust me. The interview is about 30 minutes long, but it's fantastic. So fantastic that I literally went out to get the book after watching the interview (B&N didn't have it, thank you Amazon!). If you can't commit to the full interview, at least start watching at 7:30. Either way, pour yourself a nice cup of coffee or tea, and take some time to consider a new perspective, especially if you're a creative who is thinking about/working on their own business.

In the interview, Buchard talks about the power of using your mind to grow your brain's activity, your purpose, and how to engage with the world to increase fulfillment in your creative endeavours.


"This is an external reality. Maybe I can't fully control it, but what is it that I could find in my life, or create - more importantly - what can I generate in my life that would make me feel alive, despite all of this?"

"How consistent are you in truly expressing who you are and your desires to the world? The more you do that, the more you feel engaged with the world, and the more the world engages with you."

"Right now in this economy, creative expression IS currency."

"The powerplant doesn't have energy, it generates energy -- You do not have happiness, you generate happiness. You don't have confidence, you generate confidence."

Later, as I was working on some sketches for my Publications class, I watched Hugo, which is by far one of the most charming, lovely films I've seen. It's one of my favourites. As I was watching, something Hugo said stuck out as being a perfect fit for this post:

"I'd imagine the whole world was one big machine. Machines never come with any extra parts, you know. They always come with the exact amount they need. So I figured, if the entire world was one big machine, I couldn't be an extra part; I had to be here for some reason." - Hugo Cabret


Just some thoughts. 
I hope this was as inspiring for you as it was for me! 
Thank you for reading!


3 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful, erin! it makes me want to reexamine my life and rediscover my purpose. <3 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read the book that Hugo is based on? If not, PLEASE DO. It is one of the coolest books I've ever read.
    http://www.amazon.com/Invention-Hugo-Cabret-Brian-Selznick/dp/0439813786/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1345717577&sr=8-6&keywords=hugo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make some time to watch that whole video, might be just what I need to hear right now.

    And I second Mallory! Hugo is a gorgeous book! The way it's written/illustrated is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...