Sunday, January 2, 2011

I think I'll get a lover...

...and fly him out to Spain.

"I think I need a new town to leave this all behind
I think I need a sunrise,
I'm tired of the sunset
I hear it's nice in the summer; some snow would be nice.
Oh yea."



I don't think that I was made to sit in one place for too long. As we're moving into the new year, I find myself pushing against the cliched barrage of well-intentioned New Years Resolutions, and yet at the same time, finding very earnestly that I am ready to make big changes. I am ready to do something exciting and to try something new.

2010 for me was, well, anti-climactic. I moved back home from living in the rush and lights of Hollywood, and freelanced for 8 months. Despite the fact that there were many, many little accomplishments over the year, and despite taking steps to plan a more concrete future, 2010 was pretty uneventful... and that was disappointing to me. I'm not meant to sit in one place for long. I doubt I am someone who will ever really "settle down" somewhere right now and stay put for 50 years and be content. I doubt I will ever know what colour underpants old Mr. Newton down the street is wearing out to get the morning paper, or whose son and daughter are sneaking out every weekend together, or all the neighbors and their dogs' first names 3 blocks away.

These are all very nice things to know, and very many people are happy in one place; but I'm not sure that that's me. I am tired of hum-drumming through life, waiting for something to happen.

I've heard a lot of people mentioning that instead of a resolution, they have a "bucket list". Mine is short and sweet.

1. Move to a new city.
2. Get accepted into grad school.

So, (deep breath) ...welcome 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...