Friday, July 9, 2010

First Convention Report - A Success :)

Hi friends,

Again, my blog-mommy skills have been lacking. Basically, I was working my ass off to create all of my merchandise for AX, then went to AX for four days, and am now sitting in a lovely condo/hotel room in San Jose.

I just made a fresh pot of coffee from stuff that isn't the hotel's "Hearth Blend" (aka, tastes like watery cardboard), and I realized, "Doh - you forgot extra coffee filters!!". So my ingenious self rigged some up from the extra decaf packets that were laying around. And now I am happily sipping on Hazelnut Creme coffee with real milk in it - not that "non-dairy creamer" stuff. Blegh.

Can you tell I have picky coffee tastebuds? I guess that comes after being a coffee-lover and barista for years and years and years.

Anyways, AX was a blast. At first I was totally skeptical... Day 1 got off to a really frustrating start. I didn't know where anything was, I was nervous, I had to stand in long lines only to find out that I was in the wrong place... oi. Then I had some really nice lady sort me out, and after feeling like a total con-n00bie, I found my happy little table and set up shop.

After that, I absolutely loved it!!! It was so much fun to be there, meeting everyone and striking up conversation. Even though it was an investment for me to go all the way out there for the event, I nearly broke even (which I thought was virtually hopeless). I got a lot of tips from friends about which cons to do, and where to get cheaper prints, and I learned a thing or two myself about which products sold the best. Totally kicking myself for not signing up for Otakon's AA, which is in about 2 weeks in my hometown. Boo hiss. Oh well, there's always next year. You better BELIEVE that I will have so much kickass stuff. You'll collapse from awesomeness-exhaustion right in front of my table! (I will be there, of course, to douse you with a generous helping of art to revive you).

Aside from that, things are going. I'm looking for a job up in NYC right now (and Baltimore, as a second choice). Basically looking to just make money to put myself through grad school, which I will be applying for this fall.

I have a few boutiques in my hometown that I'm going to visit with some of my jewelry and stuff... so we'll see how that goes.

And! I am working on a ton of commissions / contest entries. Here's a little preview of a larger painting I'm working on. Arcana (pictured), is a demon succubus who is spying dangerously close to two lovers (not pictured - below), ready to attack. Muahaha - enjoy.

















Art (c) Erin McManness 2010
http://www.lii-chan.deviantart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...